Learning About Blogging
So what constitutes a “good” blog? I have spend countless hours analyzing list after list focused on successful blogging techniques. Though I have essentially no experience with blogging, I have come up with a list of my own based on others’ experiences.
- Draw Readers In – Almost everyone agrees that a great headline is key to making readers want to dive into your blog. Also, concentrate on the opening lines to the post. Check out Five Simple Ways to Open Your Blog Post with a Bang to glean some insight on drawing readers in from the first line. Note that the author of this page cites many of the same techniques that are essential to a successful introductory paragraph in an essay.
- Have Fun – This suggestion encompasses many of the tips that I read. First of all, make sure that the subject of your blog is something you enjoy. Also, don’t force yourself to post, post when you have something interesting or creative to say about your topic. If you are passionate about what you are writing, chances are, others will feel that passion and be more interested as well.
- Post Consistently – Though you should be having fun with your blog, you should make sure that you post on a fairly regular basis. This will give your readers a reason to come back. If they continually check back and there are no new posts, chances are, they will stop checking.
- Interact with Others – Interact with others both on your own blog and on the blogs of others. When people leave comments on your blog, feel free to post in response. You can get readers more involved in your blog by starting a virtual conversation. Also, commenting on others’ blogs will help to bring more readers to your own blog.
- Be Useful – Readers want to read blogs that provide some value to them, even if that value is simply providing entertainment. Make sure that your blog has a purpose and stick to it! Don’t be this guy…
Feel free to check out my links page to see other peoples’ lists as well!
After coming up with this list, I decided to check out some successful blogs and see how they were being used. I found Time Magazine’s Best Blogs of 2010. Once I started reading them, I just couldn’t stop! There are blogs on absolutely everything from climate change to apartment decorating. Again, check out my links page for some of my favorite blog sites.
Honestly, I am a little shocked and overwhelmed. Blogs are used for so many purposes. Many of the blogs that I came across, Cake Wrecks and The Oatmeal for example, sell products based on their blogs. They are used primarily for entertainment purposes and have become a commercial product. Other blogs are used for humanitarian efforts (check out Human Rights in change.org) and still others are used for political purposes (check out CNN’s politicalticker…). I guess overall, blogs are used to get the word out on people, places, and issues and if successful, can be a very powerful tool.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .